Competencies – Too Many or Not Enough?
How many competencies are reasonable for your one-credit course? Your three-credit course? How would you decide?
For academic credits, use this guideline:
- 1 credit hour = 6-10 competencies
- 1 competency= 3 contact hours
- 1 competency = 9 hours of learner effort
If you are designing a curriculum for an occupation, think of it this way:
- First, consider the biggest performance statement. This is a duty.
- A duty can be divided into tasks describing a clearly definable unit of work.
- Each task can have one to three competencies.
A common guideline looks like this:
- 1 occupation = 8-12 duties
- 1 duty= 6-30 tasks
- 1 task = 1-3 competencies
Remember, these are just guidelines; your specific course might vary.
Read more: WIDS Helps You Ask "Why?"